Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Home is my job

So we were sick for about three weeks. I finally have had time to entertain some random thoughts ! I got to thinking about how much work the past three weeks had been.

Homemakers will tell you they have a job. They work at home. Then they will give you a mile long list of just how many shoes they need to be ready to fill !

Well,  I think I am finally safe in saying that without a doubt I am now a homemaker by profession ! Not because I birthed a handful of kids or because we've decided that staying home with them makes the most financial sense. My mind set is this; my husband has a job and so do I.

I am the manager of my home which means that all those nitty gritty details belong to me. I plan the menu, budget and shop for the groceries. I make and keep track of the many appointments and lessons, plan the parties and coordinate everyone's schedule. I keep inventory of everything ; from which spices are in the pantry to how many bandaids or Flintstone vitamins we have on hand. I know my children's weight, shoe size and whether or not we will be needing to do any clothes shopping in the next six months. I research our vacations and our children's curriculum.

Most recently I've added a new category - profesional development. I like my job and I think what I do matters. Just maybe not to you. So I am looking for new ways to expand my skill sets. I hope when people peek into my life they don't think for even a minute that I am wasting my time, playing around or even doing something just to impress anyone. Apart from my husband. I want the boss to be impressed ! It's okay that I enjoy my work. I should, If I am where God has called me to be.

At the end of the day though my rewards will be my healthy , happy, relaxed husband and children. I'll get my performance appraisal when I hear my grown children talk about homemade bread and warm cookies, Christmas traditions and bedtime routines. When I see my grown children making a point of doing for their children what was done for them.

I guess it's a long way from now but it takes a lifetime to build a legacy.

So how about you ? If you've made homemaking your profession are you diligently working, growing and enjoying your job ? I hope you are !

Carolyn
Daughter of The King, wife to Richard
mother to five beautiful boys
May the God of Peace equip you with everything good for doing His will, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever.
Hebrews 13:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment